Innovative Methods and Ethical Challenges in Studying Transnational Communication
Young Scholars Workshop 2023
6th December 2023, In person, Rotterdam, the Netherlands
The YECREA sections of Diaspora, Migration and the Media (DMM) and International and Intercultural Communication (IIC) welcome applications from doctoral students/researchers to apply for our workshop, which will take place on 6th December 2023 in Rotterdam.
The methods used to study transnational communities' communication strategies are increasingly diverse and creative. In utilising such innovative methods, new challenges arise at different stages of the research process. This workshop has two main aims; firstly to discuss, refine, and advance the methodological approaches to studying transnational communities and their communication practices. Secondly, to recognize and address some ethical challenges associated with utilising such methods. Notably, the workshop will focus especially on postcolonial approaches.
This year’s YECREA workshop provides young scholars with an opportunity to get feedback from internationally acclaimed scholars and peers to address specific challenges to the research process, and to build a network with other young scholars in their field.
The workshop will take place on 6th December 2023; it will precede the ECREA section conference “Transnational families and media practices: methods, ethics and critical approaches” (7th-9th December in Rotterdam). Whilst we encourage PhD students to apply for the workshop and the main conference, it is possible to participate in one event alone. The workshop is open to ten participants. Further, the workshop does not involve any fee, and coffee and tea will be provided during the morning and afternoon sessions.
In association with:
Netherlands Flanders Communication Association (NeFCA) – www.nefca.eu
Division Intercultural Communication and Diversity – https://nefca.eu/divisions/intercultural-communication-and-diversity/ (Twitter: https://twitter.com/NeFCA_ICD)
- Dr. Tanja Ahlin https://www.tanjaahlin.com/
- Dr. Dora Martins Sampaio https://www.uu.nl/staff/DIMartinsSampaio
The application process:
It is required that the applicants submit a summary of their (ongoing) research project or an individual paper (800 words) through this form before May 5th, 2023. Submission results are sent out via email at the end of June.
Please include the following information:
- An introduction that summarises your main research topic and research question(s).
- A description of the main methods you have used or will use to address this research question.
- Highlight any potential challenges in employing these methods - at any stage of the research process.
- Main or preliminary findings.
- 3(+) questions/concerns you would like to be discussed during the workshop.
If you would have any further questions/comments, please do not hesitate to email the main organisers of this workshop at the following email addresses:
- Alice Beazer, Technical University Munich, ECREA DMM Young Representative, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mohammed Alrmizan, City University London, ECREA IIC Young Representative, Mohammed.Alrmizan@city.ac.uk
- Belén Moreno Albarracín, The University of Malaga, ECREA IIC Young Representative, email@example.com