We are happy to invite you to participate in the ECREA Summer School 7-13 August at Roskilde University, Denmark. The application deadline is 16 February, 2023.
The ECREA European Media and Communication Doctoral Summer School brings together members of the European research community to explore contemporary issues within media and communication studies. The Summer School offers a supportive international setting for European doctoral students, where you can present and develop your ongoing PhD projects and build valuable networks. Our main aim is to provide you with support, knowledge, and guidance through a variety of activities, including individual feedback seminars with leading media and communication scholars.
The Summer School is open to all PhD projects within the broad field of media and communication studies. We especially encourage doctoral students who are in the middle of their studies to apply, as it is our experience that participation in this phase is the most productive and useful for participants.
The Summer School runs over seven full working days and awards a 10-ECTS credit. Participants must be present throughout to receive the full credit. The working language is English; therefore, a sufficient understanding of and ability to express oneself in this language is expected.
Location and programme
The Summer School takes place at the Department of Communication and Arts at Roskilde University, Denmark, and the programme will include:
- Feedback sessions: you get detailed and constructive feedback on your PhD project.
- Methodological workshops: you get to hone existing competencies and discover new approaches.
- Talks and round tables: you get insights into current scholarly debates and tips on how to tackle life in academia.
In addition, the programme will include social activities and cultural excursions, as well as time to work, write, and explore on your own. Click here for more information.
The participation fee is 990 Euros for ECREA members, and 1150 Euros for non-members. The fee covers:
- Accommodation in single rooms (6-13 August)
- Breakfast, lunch, coffee breaks and snacks (7-13 August)
- Welcome reception, excursions, and farewell dinner
- Summer school materials, including diploma
Doctoral students with limited economic means can apply for an ECREA grant to cover the participation fee and travel expenses. Click here for more information on eligibility and how to apply.
All interested doctoral students need to apply by Thursday 16 February, 2023. The application must include an abstract of the PhD project (max. 500 words) and a short bio (max. 300 words). Click here to fill out and submit the application form.
Up to 50 doctoral students will be offered a spot at the Summer School. All applicants will be notified by the end of March, 2023.
Please note that accepted applicants must, by Thursday 6 July, 2023, submit a 10-page paper on their PhD project as well as a 1-page list of questions and topics they would like to discuss at the Summer School. More detailed instructions can be found by clicking here.
For questions related to the application and grants, please write to email@example.com
For questions related to the programme, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
- December 15 - Submission system opens
- February 16 - Application submission deadline
- End of March - Notification of acceptance
- End of March - Notification of grant selection process
- August 7-13 - Summer school week