Department of Management, Society and Communication, Copenhagen Business School
Copenhagen Business School invites applications for a PhD fellowship in Digital Media, Sustainability and Social Movements at the Department of Management, Society and Communication (MSC).
Multi-disciplinary by design, MSC leverages the synergies of its faculty to explore the conditions and practices of responsible management, organisation and governance in a globalising world, sharing a particular concern with culture, communication and context as lenses to understand the interaction and interdependencies of business and society.
MSC is a significant supplier of research-based teaching to a broad portfolio of programmes, which includes undergraduate, graduate and doctoral teaching and supervision as well as executive education in the fields of:
- Responsible Management, Leadership and Governance
- Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability
- Business and Development (with an emphasis on the emerging/growth economies context)
- Organisational Communication (corporate communication, strategic communication, leadership communication, marketing communication, international business communication) and Media Studies
Examples of research areas that the PhD may cover:
- Digital media and activism
- Social movement studies
- Qualitative research methods: interviews, field observation, digital ethnography
This position is part of the larger research project DIGIBASE funded by Independent Research Fund Denmark and led by Principal Investigator Julie Uldam. DIGIBASE examines the role of imagination about digital media for dialogue between multinational companies and social movement organisations.
The PhD is expected to conduct interviews, field observation, and digital ethnography. Qualifications related to these tasks and social movement organisations is an advantage.
The successful candidate ideally starts in December 2021.
The Department will give priority to applicants with high grades from their universities. The three-year PhD programme at CBS allows you to conduct research under the supervision of CBS professors, supported by research training courses. The programme is highly international, and you are expected to participate in international research conferences and to spend time abroad as a visiting PhD student. See the CBS homepage for more information about the PhD programme, http://uk.cbs.dk/phd .
It is also required that the applicant shows an interest in joining the Department’s research environment, see https://www.cbs.dk/…man...
CBS PhD graduates are held in high esteem not only in academia and research institutions but also in government and business where their research qualifications are increasingly demanded. One third of CBS PhD graduates go on to employment outside universities and public research institutions.
Copenhagen Business School has a broad commitment to the excellence, distinctiveness and relevance of its teaching and research programmes. Candidates who wish to join us should demonstrate enthusiasm for working in an organisation of this type (highlighting, for example, relevant business, educational and dissemination activities).
For further information please contact: Head of Department Dorte Salskov-Iversen, email email@example.com. Information about the department may be found at www.cbs.dk/msc.
Appointment and salary will be in accordance with the Ministry of Finance’s agreement with the Central Academic Organisation.
A PhD scholarship runs for a period of 3 years, and includes teaching obligations equivalent of ½ year’s work (840 work hours). The scholarships are fully salaried positions, according to the national Danish collective agreement. The scholarship includes the tuition fees, office space, travel grants plus a salary, currently starting with per month app. DKK 27.363 up to DKK 33.045 depending on seniority, plus a pension contribution totaling 17,1 %.
The salary level and appointment is determined by the Ministry of Finance’s collective agreement with the Central Academic Organisation.
The PhD student will be enrolled at the CBS PhD School (https://www.cbs.dk/…ool)
- To be considered, the candidate should have basic training at the Masters level (similar to the 3 + 2 Bologna process).
- The applicant must have successfully completed the Masters degree before commencing PhD at CBS.
- Applicants must have achieved the equivalent grade of ten (10) or higher on the Danish 7-point grading scale for their master’s thesis.
- The minimum grade point average of 8.2 on the Danish 7-point grading scale must have been achieved for the bachelor's degree and the master's degree combined.
- The applicant must be fluent in English.
Applications must be sent via the electronic recruitment system, using the link below.
The application deadline is 6 September 2021 at midnight CET.
Applications must include:
- Research proposal (maximum 5 pages).
This research proposal should contain a presentation of an original research question, a description of the initial theoretical framework and methodology, a presentation of the suggested empirical material as well as a work-plan.
- Copies of a Master’s degree certificate or other certificates of a corresponding level along with a grade transcript
- Brief curriculum vitae (CV)
- List of papers and publications
- One copy of a selected written work (e.g. Master’s thesis)
- Documentation for English language skills
The Recruitment Committee expects to shortlist at least two-five applicants to be assessed by the Assessment Committee. All applicants will be notified of their status in the recruitment process shortly after the application deadline. Applicants selected for assessment will be notified about the composition of the Assessment Committee and later in the process about the result of the assessment.
Once the recruitment process is completed each applicant will be notified of the outcome of their application.
Please find guidelines and further information on scholarships and the Doctoral Programme at http://uk.cbs.dk/phd.
Application must be sent via the electronic recruitment system, using the link below.
Copenhagen Business School must receive all application material, including all appendices (see items above), by the application deadline.
Details about Copenhagen Business School and the department are available at www.cbs.dk.