University of Bern
At the Institute of Communication and Media Studies (ikmb) of the University of Bern, a position is available as a Phd-Student / Post-doc researcher(80-100%).
The position will be available from October 1st, 2021 (or by appointment) for an initial period of three years. It is intended to serve the purpose of scientific qualification.
- Research in existing SNF-sponsored project:
- Processing and analysis of large sets of web tracking data (html files)
- Designing mechanism for identifying sensitive information in large text-based datasets
- Developing automated text classification models for political / online communication research
- Conducting various forms of statistical analyses (e.g. regression / cluster models)
- Writing of outstanding publications
- Contribution to the general tasks of the Institute
- Teaching (starting mid 2023)
- Outstanding PhD (for Post-doc position) / Master (for Phd position) in communication science, a related social science discipline and/or in informatics, data science, computational linguistics
- Strong skills in computational methods, especially data cleaning and processing, as well as automated content analysis and text classification (Python). Experience with parallel programming / multi-threading and deep learning (transformers / RNNs) is beneficial.
- Strong interest in political communication and/or online communication
- Very good skills in the methods of empirical social science
- Ability to work in a team
An attractive working environment awaits you at the Institute for Communication and Media Science at the University of Bern: a collegial team, cooperation and exchange, as well as the freedom to develop your own ideas. Employment adheres to the regulations of the Canton of Berne.
The University of Bern strives to increase the proportion of women in research and teaching and therefore urges qualified female candidates to apply.
Applications (letter of motivation including research interests / ideas, CV, publication list, certificates; for Phds: one central chapter of the MA-thesis or another publication; for Post-docs: 1-2 central articles) should be mailed as a pdf file by September 2nd, 2021 to Prof. Dr. Silke Adam (firstname.lastname@example.org). For further information, please contact Prof. Dr. Silke Adam. The job interviews will take place on the 10th / 13th of September.