Universität Hamburg invites applications for a position as a Senior Research Associate in the field of Journalism and Media Studies (or related social sciences) with a strong expertise in the analysis of journalistic and social media content for the project “Social Constructions of Climate Futures” within the framework of the DFG Cluster of Excellence ‘CliCCS – Climate, Climatic Change and Society’, in accordance with Section 28 subsection 3 of the Hamburg higher education act (Hamburgisches Hochschulgesetz, HmbHG). The position commences on the 1st of April 2019.
CliCCS is an ambitious research program at Universität Hamburg and its partner institutions. Funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG), it is part of Germany’s Excellence Strategy. CliCCS’ overarching research question reads: Which climate futures are possible, and which are plausible? The project “Social Constructions of Climate Futures” explores how journalistic and social media, local discourses, scientists and stakeholders debate and imagine the future in the context of a changing climate - comparing debates in German speaking countries, the United States, India and Southern Africa.
The position is remunerated at the salary level TV-L 13 and calls for 39 hours per week.
The fixed-term nature of this contract is based upon Section 2 of the academic fixed-term labor contract act (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz, WissZeitVG) and will end on December 31st 2025.
The University aims to increase the number of women in research and teaching and explicitly encourages women to apply. Equally qualified emale applicants will receive preference in ac-cordance with the Hamburg act on gender equality (Hamburgisches Gleichstellungsgesetz, HmbGleiG).
CliCCS offers accompanying measures to help scientists thrive through all stages of their careers.
- Conducting journalism and media studies on the construction of climate futures
- Coordination and management of the project “Social Constructions of Climate Futures”
- Contribution to project development under supervision of project leaders
- Contribution to overall interdisciplinary synthesis of the Cluster of
- Excellence CliCCS
- Conducting and combining automated and manual quantitative and qualitative content analysis
- Developing and (co-)authoring articles to be published in international academic journals
- Presenting research at international conferences
- Science Management tasks (e.g. oversight of budget, organisation of cooperation between PhD researchers, workshop organisation)
- Contribute to synthesis papers of the overall CliCCS project
- Demonstrated interest in the field of climate, risk, science and environmental communication
- Expertise in automated and manual content analysis
- Good knowledge of multi-variate statistics
- Basic knowledge of R or other programming skills
- Basic knowledge of qualitative research or network analysis
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Native or advanced knowledge in English and German
- Demonstrated experience and interest in project management
- Ability to work proactively in an interdisciplinary team
- An excellent university degree in media and journalism studies, related social sciences or neighboring disciplines (such as corpus linguistics), plus a very good or excellent doctorate in any of these fields.
Severely disabled applicants will receive preference over equally qualified non-disabled applicants.
For further information, please contact email@example.com or consult our website at https://www.cliccs.uni-hamburg.de/
Applications should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and copies of degree certificate(s) submitted as one single PDF file. The application deadline is 31.01.2019.
Please send applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org.