Deadline: March 1, 2019
We are seeking applicants for the position of Editor of Environmental Communication. This journal, published by Taylor & Francis since 2007, is the official journal of the International Environmental Communication Association (IECA). The journal has become the flagship publication in the field of environmental communication, currently publishing eight issues per year. The journal’s Impact Factor for 2017 is 1.360. For more information about the journal’s mission, aims, and scope, along with samples of published work, go to here.
We are looking for candidates who are actively involved in the field of environmental communication, with an international reputation for excellence and enthusiasm for the journal.
The editorship of Environmental Communication is a rewarding role in which you will:
- develop your own networks
- promote research that you are passionate about
- contribute to the direction of the journal and the shape of the discipline
As Editor you will be responsible for promoting the mission of the journal through seeking, commissioning, and developing articles of the highest quality, and ensuring that these articles are delivered to the publisher in good order and on a timely basis. You will oversee the peer review of submitted articles and have the authority to accept or reject articles following peer review. You will identify strategies to continue to enhance the quality and reputation of the journal.
The role will begin on 1 January 2020. Prior to this there will be a period of transition with the current Editor. The expected length of term is three years.
Relationships and Support
You will work with the publisher through the Taylor & Francis Managing Editor on the Environment journals list as well as promotional staff. You will also work with the Research & Publications Committee of the IECA and will serve as a member of the IECA’s Board of Directors. Taylor & Francis will provide advice, support, and performance analysis of the journal. Taylor & Francis will also provide annual contributions to the successful applicant to cover journal-related expenses.
- Recruit and manage a team of Associate Editors that reflects the breadth of the field
- Develop a broad-based and international Editorial Board with expertise in both the social sciences and the humanities
- Process and make editorial decisions on open submissions
- Commission special issues of the journal that reflect trends in the field
- Provide quality assurance in the selection and performance of reviewers
- Deliver high-quality, peer-reviewed manuscripts for publication within prescribed deadlines
- With Taylor & Francis, identify and deliver strategies to enhance the quality and reputation of the journal, its citation levels, and readership/circulation
- Increase awareness of articles published in the journal in all relevant communities and amongst colleagues
- Work with the publisher and the IECA to promote the journal at professional meetings and other venues
- Communicate with members of the IECA about journal developments through blog posts and email
We seek candidates with the following attributes:
- Leading researcher/scholar in the field of environmental communication
- Knowledge of the international environmental communication research community
- Ability to communicate effectively and manage projects and tasks on deadline
- Demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively with faculty and staff
- Experience in reviewing and editing (books, journal issues, etc.)
Applications should include a cover letter that addresses your vision for the future direction and scope of the journal, your interests and capabilities (including any potential institutional support), as well as a current CV. Applications will be reviewed beginning March 1, 2019, and will continue until the position is filled. Final editor selection will be made by Taylor & Francis in consultation with the search committee.
Send applications electronically to: Professor Nik Norma Nik Hasan (search committee chair), Universiti Sains Malaysia (email@example.com).