Vrije Universitet Amsterdam
Deadline: March 21, 2019
FTE: 0.8 - 1
Would you welcome the challenge of leading a team of specialists in Language and Communication Studies? In that case, please consider applying for this position.
Within the Department of Language, Literature, and Communication of the Faculty of Humanities (FGW), the chair of Language and Communication will play a vital role by studying the interplay between language, interaction and communication. The chair will investigate how the design of texts, images, and conversations, has particular consequences for participants involved, in their role of, e.g., customer, voter, or patient, and how organizations may improve communication designs tailored to relevant media platforms. The Department seeks to hire a candidate who stimulates cross-disciplinary research and has a proven expertise in adopting innovative approaches across methodologies in the domain of language and communication studies.
- teach on the bachelor programme including the first year and on the (research) Master programmes
- further develop the international bachelor specialization Language and Media
- conduct research in the field of Language and Communication in relation to other disciplines
- acquire external research funding and contribute to economic and societal valorization
- supervise the chair group’s teaching and research staff, including Ph.D. scholars
- an outstanding international reputation in terms of research, as shown by multiple and substantial publications in the field of language use (and social media)
- methodological expertise and experience in conducting interdisciplinary research
- ample managerial experience
- a track record of acquiring research projects
- demonstrable excellence in didactic skills
What are we offering?
A challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €5,582 (H2)
and a maximum €8,127 (H2), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
The initial employment contract will affect a period of 2 years, with the prospect of a permanent contract.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment,
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus,
- solid pension scheme (ABP),
- contribution to commuting allowance based on public transport
About Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
The ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. And to be a university where personal education and societal involvement play a leading role. Where people from different disciplines and backgrounds work together on innovations and on generating new knowledge. Our teaching and research embrace the whole spectrum of science – from the humanities, the social sciences and the pure sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 23,000 students. We employ more than 4,500 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible, located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
Diversity is one of our university’s core values. We are an inclusive community, and we believe that diversity and international activities enhance the quality of education and research. We are always looking for people who can enhance diversity on our campus thanks to their background and experience.
Faculty of Humanities
The Faculty of Humanities links a number of fields of study: Language, Literature and Communication, Art & Culture, History, Antiquities and Philosophy. Our teaching and research focus on current societal and scientific themes: from artificial intelligence to visual culture, from urbanization to the history of slavery, from ‘fake news’ in journalism to communication in organizations. We strive to ensure small group sizes. Innovative education and interdisciplinary research are our hallmarks.
Working at the Faculty of Humanities means making a real contribution to the quality of leading education and research in an inspiring and personal work and study climate. We employ more than 250 staff members, and we are home to around 1,300 students.
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter before March 21, 2019.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. dr. Diederik Oostdijk
Position: Chair of Department
Telephone: 020 59 82044
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Name: Wytske Siegersma
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone: +31 (20) 59 85037