Faculty of Humanities – Amsterdam Centre for Cultural Analysis
Deadline: October 4, 2019
Level of education: University
Hours: 19 hours per week
Salary indication: €2,049 to €2,390 gross per month, based on 38 hours per week
Vacancy number: 19-617
The Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis (ASCA) of the Faculty of Humanities is looking for a student assistant to join the ERC-funded project ‘Data Activism: The Politics of Big Data According to Civil Society' (DATACTIVE), with Dr Stefania Milan as Principal Investigator. DATACTIVE investigates citizens’ engagement with massive data collection.
Located at the Faculty of Humanities at the University of Amsterdam, ASCA is an interdisciplinary research community whose members share a commitment to maintaining a close connection with contemporary cultural and political debates in society at large. Within ASCA they collaborate to provide a stimulating environment for scholars, professionals, and graduate students from the Netherlands and abroad.
The Department of Media Studies offers a multidisciplinary, interactive and international research environment in a leading department (Media and Communication at the University of Amsterdam currently ranks number 1 in the QS World Rankings).
You are able to work independently and as part of a team, and you are willing to support ongoing empirical analysis. You will join a team of eight people working under the leadership of Dr Stefania Milan (the Principal investigator) who collaboratively examine the emerging dynamics of data activism at the intersection of its social and technological dimensions. You will report to Dr Milan and to the Project manager.
The successful applicant will provide administrative assistance and help with analysis of empirical data of the DATACTIVE project. The tasks include:
- assist in data analysis tasks, such as qualitative analysis of interview data (“coding’) and dataset maintenance;
- transcribe interview data;
- contribute to the organization of project-related meetings and events as needed;
- provide general administrative project assistance.
Funded by the European Research Council, the DATACTIVE project explores citizen engagement with emerging data practices and cultures. It is in its fifth and last year.
We are looking for a candidate who is preferably a student at UvA, enrolled in a research-oriented Master program. In addition, the candidate should have:
- a social sciences background;
- demonstrable methodological skills and experience with coding interview data;
- familiarity with open-source digital environments and with analytical software;
- the ability and willingness to work in a team;
- an excellent command of English (written and spoken). Familiarity with other languages (e.g., Spanish) is an asset.
Start date: ASAP
Location: Department of Media Studies, UvA (no remote).
Further information about the project may be found on the project website: https://www.uva.nl/en/content/vacancies/2019/09/19-617-student-assistant-datactive-project.html?1570098210959
You may also contact: Jeroen de Vos, Project manager
The appointment is initially for a period of 4 months, 0,3 to 0,5 fte depending of the year of studies you are in, starting as soon as possible. Contingent on satisfactory performance it is possible that the contract is extended. The gross monthly salary will range between €2,049 to €2,390, based on 38 hours per week. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritise diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
Your application must consist of one pdf or word document including the following:
- an up-to-date CV, inclusive of publications (if any);
- a 1-page cover letter outlining your motivations to join the project and illustrating how you meet the requirements for the position;
- contact details, including phone number, of two referees.
Please submit your application no later than 4 October 2019. #LI-DNP